Friday, December 2, 2016

What I Wish I Knew the First Time



Yesterday my first born, my only son turned seventeen. S E V E N T E E N! I was 17 when I graduated from high school. I was 17 when I started college. How is it possible that I could possibly have a child this age?

A few nights ago, we talked about when his high school graduation is in order to plan his graduation party around out of town guests. I'm still in shock this is even a real conversation on the near horizon.

As more of these upcoming events are my reality, I find myself thinking about his early years when instead of dragging him out of bed like I have to now, I had to bribe him to stay in his bed beyond 6 am.

I used to have to say to him, "Can you please give me just 5 minutes without talking?" so I could finish whatever it was I was working on. Now I have to say, "Can you please just come out here and talk for 5 minutes?"

Given that the age range for all of our kids is from 3 to 17, I have had plenty of time to reflect on what I have done differently between my oldest and youngest... what I wish I knew, what I would have changed and done differently all those years ago.

Continued over at Pittsburgh Moms Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment