Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Where Did Summer Go?

Here we are, day 2 of the newest school year and my husband and I are shaking our heads wondering where summer went.  This was the fastest summer I can remember.  Fastest year of my life actually. Violet is just a handful of weeks away from turning one. One! How is this even possible?!  Fastest year of my life!

I'm not one who sits waiting waiting waiting for kids to go back to school and is cheering when the door closes. I like the flexible time with my kids.  I do, however, like the routine of the school year as well. We had a great summer and Andrew traveled all over as he usually does.  He always has a summer filled with things, so the closer-to-home of the school year is nice too.  I guess, I just try to embrace it all and make the most of what I've got.

Andrew is a freshman in high school this year.  Class of 2018.

Nothing like that reality check to make you realize how quickly your kids grow up and how soon they will leave for college.  One of my best friends who has known Andrew since he was 11 weeks old commented on his 1st day picture yesterday..."Howwwwwwww?" This. Exactly this.  It has gone crazy fast!

He has to catch his bus before 7 in the morning this year.  Actually 2 minutes later than the time he woke up last year, so getting used to getting up early should be a treat.


 I woke up around 5:45am without an alarm, unable to sleep, so I figured I might as well get Andrew's breakfast started.  He's been in the bad habit the last few years of not eating breakfast, so I'm determined to change that this year.  Though I do always make his favorite breakfast of biscuits and gravy for the first day of school.


He did wake up a little earlier than he will normally have to the first day because he knew we'd be taking pictures, of course. I teared up taking his first day pictures as he hit this new milestone in his life.

This year is a new year with no glasses! He's ventured into wearing contacts and so far, so good.  His shirt is, well, perfect. It's so him.




He was actually ok with me driving him to the bus this morning just to make sure it came. {last year the high school bus never showed up the 1st day}  I had to promise him I wouldn't get out and take any pictures though, so I took one from the car, hence the fogged up window. I couldn't exactly lean out the driver's side and get one. :)

And he's off...

Reagan has spent every first year of school with us since she started kindergarten. I actually think that's strange, but it is how it's been, so I just go with it.  She is a 5th grader this year and looking forward to being in beginning band, learning to play the flute.  She's also a new part of the Gifted & Talented Education {GATE} program this year which we feel will be really good for her growth as a young girl. I'm glad she's got some of her own things to look forward to this year!





George and Lily took Reagan to the bus while Violet and I waved "bye bye."


Happy 1st day!

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! Everyone looking good on the 1st day, but where was Miss Lily?? Good Luck to them as they start another school year! xo

    ReplyDelete