Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Do You Wanna Build a Tutu?

Last year, I was fortunate enough to work with The Hairbow Company on Lily's tutu to enhance her Halloween costume. {You can read all about that here if you want!}


When the opportunity arose to work with them again, you bet I jumped at the chance!  They've put together a sah-weet little tutu making kit... specifically, Tutu Making 101.  I've now been making tutus for 4 years and whoooooo boy I wish I had this from the get go! It would have saved me countless hours of watching YouTube videos early on.

So, if you're a rookie or even a seasoned tutu maker, this kit has something for you! It's a short and sweet guide to making a variety of different types of tutus plus some fantastic costume ideas!  I've always used a ribbon for the waist of my tutus and was excited to see both the ribbon and crochet headband tutus in the guide.



For only $4.99 each kit includes:
Tutu Making 101 instruction booklet
Crochet Hook 
Measuring Tape
Pen
Notepad

Note: You will need to buy your tulle, ribbon, and/or crochet tutu tops separately depending on the amount and colors you need. The Tutu Making Guide and Kit only includes tools and instructions. 

The Hairbow Co. has all the supplies you need to follow the guide. The tulle, the ribbon, the crochet headbands are all available on their website! The prices can't be beat!


My favorite part of this guide is the humor in the instruction! I actually laughed out loud a couple times reading!

Tutu Making 101 is literally a step-by-step from start to finish helping you with what supplies you need, different styles you can create, measuring the waist as well as the tulle, and how to knot the pieces of tulle.



I had a helper for measuring.
And in case you're wondering, we needed "5 pounds." {4 year old unit of measuring length}


I love the measuring tips in this guide! It made it super easy to cut the tulle and prepare to attach to the ribbon.  The most important part of measuring and cutting tulle is to remember to cut twice the length you want your tutu to be since you will be folding each piece in half when you attach.  
{Wonder what we could possibly be making with these colors!}

Attaching is easy peasy and since I used a ribbon I had a lot of leeway on being able to attach it and move it. When I inadvertently messed up my pattern, I was just able to slide that piece over and add in the forgotten color.  I love my tutus to be really full, so I scrunch the pieces together pretty tight!

See?? It's so simple to attach.  Fold, loop, and tighten.


Not to be forgotten, I started making a shortie tutu for my sweet Violet's first birthday.  This is the first short tutu I have ever made and I can't wait to see it on her! It's exactly half the size of the one I made for Lily.

Be sure to check back later this month to see my girls in their tutus!  And don't forget to head over to The Hairbow Company for your Tutu Making Kit and all your supplies!



Disclosure:  I was provided the tutu making kit and all materials to make the tutus from The Hairbow Company. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment