Well, hello there winter! It hasn't exactly started, but going from almost 80 degrees this week to the 40s today with hail, sleet and rain and yep, felt like winter in a flash. We have been enjoying the cooler evenings sleeping with the windows open. This morning I woke up and it was 66 degrees inside. That'd be perfect if it were summertime! Fortunately, the kids all slept in warm jammies!
Saving energy especially in winter here in PA is paramount. Polar Vortex anyone??
We don't typically turn on the AC or the heat in our house until the weather consistently stays hot or cold. We tend to use a lot of blankets, throw on a sweatshirt and snuggle up before it's time to turn on the heat.
Being a stay at home mom and super budget conscious, I am always looking for ways to save money. Cutting energy costs makes a big difference in our household.
A handful of things we try to do to keep our energy costs down and our house energy efficient:
- Lights out? Seems obvious really, but when your 4 year old loves to play with light switches, the reminder of turning out lights when you leave the room is a biggie in our house!
- I already mentioned using blankets to keep warm instead of turning up the thermostat. I have lots of blankets laying on chairs and couches to easily grab and cover up with.
- Replacing all traditional light bulbs with energy efficient LEDS is an easy one. We love these lightbulbs and they last a long time!
- You can also use dimmer switches on your lights which over time makes your light bulbs last longer and can reduce your energy usage by 40%.
- We use power strips to help combat energy usage as well!
One way to make your home smarter is to install a smart thermostat. I remember thinking how incredible it was that you could set a timer so your house was cooler when you got home. The Nest Learning Thermostat takes that even further...it adapts and learns your preferred temperature settings and personal schedule and you can control from your smartphone or tablet. That's pretty amazing!
Direct Energy is committed to helping their customers build a smarter home, and thus cut down on their energy usage – saving the customer time and making their lives easier. Currently they're offering the opportunity for anyone to learn more about creating a smarter home by visiting their Facebook page, or exploring their Comfort & Control Plans.
The Comfort & Control Plans 24 or 36 month plans offer fixed rate price stability, and a Nest Learning Thermostat (a $249 value) at no cost to you.
Also, Direct Energy is hosting a sweepstakes where 5 lucky winners will have the chance to win Nest Learning Thermostats!
To enter the sweepstakes, visit the campaign landing page and simply fill out the entry form. How easy is that? (Mobile users: click HERE.)
The giveaway will take place from Wednesday, October 1st to Wednesday, October 22nd. Winners will be selected in Mid-November.
Here's hoping our winter isn't as biting as last year!
How are you keeping energy costs down in your home? I'd love to hear!