Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Birth Story


Lily's Arrival...

Friday, July 23, 2010:

G and I were a little anxious awaiting the call from the hospital that was supposed to come between 9pm and midnight telling us to come in.  We grilled out, ate supper together for the last time just the two of us, watched tv, made sure we had everything we needed for the hospital and just enjoyed each other.  I decided about 9pm to take a shower and sure enough, the phone rang RIGHT after I got in around 9:05pm telling us we could come in.  I told the nurse we'd be there shortly.

I finished my shower, told G the hospital called, got the rest of my things together, he took a shower and off we went to have our baby girl!

10:13pm: On way to hospital

10:44pm: At hospital, checked in and waiting for room.

11:11pm: In labor&delivery room number 8.















Shortly after, the doctor came in to check my cervix...dilated to one, but she said "The baby's still up pretty high and you're not effaced much at all."

Saturday, July 24, 2010:
1:00am: Misoprostol inserted vaginally to ripen cervix. Doc said she'd be back at 5am to check progress.

2:00am: Magnesium started because of preeclampsia and blood pressure was high. To reduce the risk of seizure.

2:15am: hot and crampy Felt like I had peed on myself slightly.... (nurse wasn't sure that my water broke and I wasn't sure that she didn't hook up my catheter correctly)

2:31am: contractions showing on ultrasound now-- 3 to 4 minutes apart.  Totally feeling like I had peed all over myself (I'm pretty certain my water broke, airheaded nurse, still not certain, so she called dr.)

3:15am: Dr. came in to check because I kept saying either my water broke or I had peed on myself. Sure enough, water broke. Was dilated to 3. Said I could get epidural


3:45am: Epidural started and then I slept! Yay! Daddy did too. :) 


Around 7:15am, I woke up because I was having a lot of pain...nurse checked contractions and they were 2 to 3 minutes apart. I told her I was feeling entirely too much for having an epidural, so they called the anesthesiologist to come back and check to see if I needed more. 

Anesthesiologist gave me more medicine around 7:40am and said, "It should kick in in 5 to 7 minutes." I watched the clock and at 7:50am, I asked the nurse (new nurse) how long she said because it's not working!

Nurse called the doctor to come check me before calling for more epidural and told her I kept saying I felt like I had to poop.  Which I did feel like. :)  Fortunately, it was all baby and nothing more!

Doctor came shortly after and said, "I think you're dilated to 10. I'm going to get another doctor in to check to be sure, but I think you're ready."

2nd doctor comes to check shortly after 8:00am. Sure enough dilated to 10...ready to have this baby. Apparently sans medicine. :(















I was NOT excited about the lack of epidural...especially since I went through the pain of getting the darn thing in my back! The contractions were terribly painful and I kept saying, "Wow this really sucks." over and over. G held my hand, rubbed my head, asked me what he could do for me and helped me through it all. The need to push became a lot stronger, so the nurse got us started while we waited for the doctor...

8:23am: Started pushing.

8:46am: crowning!

Nurse said, "ok, you have to stop, I don't want to be the one to deliver your baby!" 
Doctor arrived right after that.

We pushed about 3 more times.

8:53am:
Lily Katarina
6lbs 6.2 ounces 19.5 inches long

This is her first breath! (Way to capture it, Daddy!)























(Will do a picture post next)
Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. POST OF THE YEAR

    Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay you posted pics :) I was planning on emailing you everyday til ya did hahahaha

    You look so cute in your piggy tails and its a girl shirt love it!!

    Lily Katarina what a pretty name....Kelcee's friend's name is Scarlett Katarina and everyone calls her Kat....

    She is just so pretty....looks like you momma...

    xoxo
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I was turning my head sideways trying to figure out where her head was in the pic with the umbilical cord and now I get it she is turned sideways hince the way to catch the moment comment LOL

    You have to excuse the dingy me....
    hahahahhaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. She is beautiful! I love the name Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Aside from the crappy epidural it sounds like things went really well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yay, been waiting for this! Sorry the epidural didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww!! Congrats girl!! She's GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is beautiful ...Congrats again

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats hun she is a beautiful baby..now you get some rest and enjoy her..

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh I so don't like that Miroprostol stuff...it brought on my contractions way to fast!

    She came quickly though which is awesome! And she is just beautiful!

    Congratulations you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!!! She is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many congrats to you guys!! Baby and momma are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting! Congrats to you and your new family!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Late to the party but this was an awesome post! She's gorgeous. Sucks about the epidural, but at least now you can say, I did it without much medication!

    ReplyDelete