Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What Kind of Parent?

Recently, I've been thinking about different types of parenting. 

Well, let's be real, after what should have been a private email conversation posted directly to me on a blog, "hippie shit parenting" was used to describe my parenting.  What exactly is that?  Definitely not in any book I've read.

After I was through laughing about it, it prompted me to think: how would I describe my parenting style?

Conservative.  Definitely.

Traditional.  Certainly a word I'd use, but I recognize that's a subjective one.

George and I are both conservative in our beliefs about children. 
We believe in the Golden Rule.

Our goal is to raise positive, happy, mentally & emotionally & physically healthy children.
We filter what our children watch on tv, the video games they play, when they can play them, we get them involved in activities to build confidence, develop social skills, teamwork, offer life experience away from us. 

We give them responsibility and teach them there are consequences for their actions, we have rules that have a reason behind them (not just for the sake of having rules), we teach them to problem solve on their own, we offer them guidance as they struggle with situations at school, we remind them that their character is shown as they handle difficult situations or people.

More times than I can count, I have had adults tell me how polite and kind and what a good boy, my son is. I watch him hold open doors for strangers to allow women or elderly go in before him, and ensure pleases and thank yous are used. I am proud of who he is when no one's looking.

Granted, he's still a kid and makes mistakes both at home and school---which are absolute teachable moments. And he knows there are consequences for each choice or behavior.

We have 3 children in very different stages--an infant, a new school-ager and a young adolescent. Each age with amazing rewards and its own set of challenges. 

As a result, everything is not equal across the board. They have different responsibilities and different privileges.  Yeah, we sometimes get the "that's not fair" or "well, I don't get to do...", but we explain the "whys" and communicate with them.  We believe teaching children communication skills actually benefits them.

They don't always like our decisions, but it's also not our job to be their friend. We're their parents, not their buddies. While it's not always easy to say no or follow through, it is the right thing to do...as their parents.

We also don't get caught up in labels in our family either. We are moms and dads and brothers and sisters. No step or half. Believe me, pounding into a kid's head that I am ONLY a "stepmother" doesn't make my role any less valuable. I've heard my kids talk to their friends, coaches, teachers  etc. and simply say, "My parents."  

I don't want perfect children.  Rather, children who are capable of independent thinking, treating others with kindness and respect, appreciative and thoughtful.  I'm fortunate to see our parenting at work in these amazing young people everyday.

While I don't know that there's a singular word to describe our parenting style, we are blessed to have wonderful children who benefit from our parenting.

And I know I am a good mother to all 3 of them.  It's one of my strengths.

8 comments:

  1. Sure doesn't sound "Hippie Shit" to me! Sounds like a perfect balance in my opinion!

    Here is to GOOD kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Steph,
    This is why I heart you sooooo LOL...you are "real" and I love that! I would have to say your are one of the bestest mommy's in my book....:)

    Teaching kindness, manners, unconditional love, Jesus is awesome in my book

    loves ya
    Sums

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome post Steph! I don't think that's "hippie" parenting, more like "HIP" parenting! Stand your ground; manners, morals and responsibility are making a comeback and your kiddos will thank you for it! We believe in a lot of the same things. Family is family,no matter HOW you're together.
    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like an amazing mother!
    I am proud to see that you didnt let that person bother you with her comments. Good for you momma :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think labeling a style isn't as important as being the best parent for your particular kids. If the kids respond to the way you do things, you don't need to worry about the label.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go, girl! So happy to see someone say they want to be a PARENT to their child, and not their BUDDY. Believe me, I've seen what being "buddies" with your kids (without proper direction and discipline) does to them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahem. You rock. The end. *clap* *clap*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie-
    You are doing the hardest and most important job in the world! I love that you don't use labels in your home. I have been in a "blended family" with my husband and five kids for about 14 years and can say with certainty that not having any "Steps" is the way to go. You are a family, not a staircase!
    Keep up the good work and I give you extra kudos for being a good Mother to the daughter that you choose to parent. I often don't give my husband enough credit for fathering my 3 boys that he chose to love and help me raise.

    Happy 2011 to you!!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete