Monday, December 28, 2009

1st Doctor Appointment, 7 weeks

Today's the day!

My 1st doctor appointment! Although, I know there's nothing spectacular about the 1st visit that occurs, I'm still excited! 7 weeks, 2 days!

I knew I'd be there for a long time with the bloodwork, so I went prepared with a book and of course my cell phone. :)

They did all the standard: blood pressure check, urine test, prenatal vitamin prescription, weight check, measurement, "wow your cervix is really deep", "are you sure about your last mentrual period date?"  Those last 2 seem to be standard for me, anyway.

I still find "Advanced Maternal Age" (AMA) to by a hysterical term and makes me feel like a grandma! So, yep, I'm AMA at the ripe old age of 36.

We discussed "high risk" because of my miscarriage and right now we're just going to play it by ear and see how the pregnancy progresses. I'm mixed about that right now because on one hand, I want the "extra" attention and on the other, I'm grateful they feel things are normal.  It's just that element of my miscarriage having had NO symptoms or signs that made it so much more shocking for me, so of course I'm pretty nervous.

I shared my fears and concerns about miscarriage and the doctor was wonderful and caring about it understanding why I was nervous. She said that we'll be cautious and watch closely as well.

The doctor said she felt like my uterus measure at 8 weeks instead of the 7 that I was, so we'll see with ultrasound eventually. Since I was positive of my last menstrual start date, she went with that until we see differently. :)

Due date confirmed: August 14, 2010.

My doctor decided that she wanted to be cautious about me being "borderline" overweight and go ahead and order the glucose test normally done at 28 weeks of pregnancy for today. I laughed and said, "There's no borderline about it, but I certainly can't start dieting now, so we'll do whatever we need to do!"

Off for blood work and to drink the sugar death drink.  A billion vials of blood later and one super sugary sprite-like drink, I'm off to wait for an hour to have my blood drawn again. I'm so grateful I brought a book!!

An hour passed, one more vial of blood drawn and I'm off to go home finally about 3 hours later!

They called not too long after I had left and told me that I did not pass the 1 hour glucose test, so I'd have to do the 3 hour test. I did not pass the 1 hour glucose test in my pregnancy with A 10 years ago and had to go ahead and do the 3 hour test, so honestly I wasn't surprised.  I don't typically eat a lot of sugary foods and I guess my body just doesn't break down sugars quickly.  I will say though, that in 10 years they certainly have improved the taste of that drink because it wasn't nearly as horrible as it was in the past!

Scheduled the 3 hour test for January 11th. And scheduled the next regular visit for January 25th.

Came home armed with a calendar from the doctor's office and a ton of paperwork to read over.

I took a quick picture of the pregnancy test the nurse did for confirmation:
 
We're having a baby!! I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment