Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Family Man

Sometimes we get so wrapped up in dealing with the hard stuff and needing to fix the wrong that the good stuff gets pushed aside a little more often than it should.  Let's face it. The hard stuff is what makes the good stuff...really good.

As part of our release of negativity, my husband and I have been focusing more on "the good stuff". Celebrating us.
Celebrating our amazing children--together and individually. 
A few weeks ago, I got a text from a good friend that said, "I heard a song that reminds me of G.
I think it's called 'Family Man.'"  
I hadn't heard it, but hadn't been listening much to new music lately, so when I heard it for the first time this past weekend, it hit me pretty hard. 

As I listened to the lyrics, tears streaming down my face, I was so proud that my husband is thought of by other people in the way the song reflects.

A couple years before I met George, I had told a friend I hoped someday I would meet a man who had a white collar mind and a blue collar soul.  

I met him...
...a man who is intellectually stimulating and hardworking. 
 His work ethic and morals make me proud. 

I love watching him teach my son how to start a campfire, how to use tools --all those "man" things that I would never have been able to teach him. 
Of course, it's not just the physical things he's teaching him.

I love that when he talks to people he simply says, "my son" or "our son".  And they've found their own way over these near 4 years together.  It's not always been easy, but it's so worth it.  The struggles we all had gone through have made us very close.  It's an interesting dynamic when there are 4 of us.
It's just easy. 
And my God, we need easy.

I love watching him with Lily. ♥
I love how he helps with her even when it's different than how I do things.
I love that she adores him.
She lights up when she sees him...and every little girl deserves to feel that way about her daddy!

We're very real.
We don't always get along, we have differing opinions about some things, we've learned a lot from each other's points of views, we compromise, we communicate, we recognize, we listen, we love...

He said that years ago a friend of his had told him,
when you meet the one you're supposed to be with, you'll know.
I remember so clearly when he told me that he finally understood what his friend meant.
Sometimes when I think of all we've been through, those moments seem like a lifetime ago, but celebrating those conversations and remembering to honor the life we share, has become more present for us.

He chose ME to marry.

I'm so proud to be his wife!
I'm so honored to share in the gift and responsibility to raise our children with him!

"Family Man" is him...every part of it we've been there --
the work, the truck, the laundry, the dishes, the homework, the prayers...

"They're the world my world revolves around
My sacred piece of solid ground
The flesh and bone that gives me strength to stand
They're the fire in my driving on
The drive behind my coming home
The living, breathing, reason that I am
A family man"


I wouldn't change a thing.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you that you have each other. Marriage isn't always easy, but it's worth the effort when we have the right person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so wonderful to read this. gives me hope. thank you so much for linking up with PYHO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for giving me some hope too.

    I am sick of being alone.

    sorry to be negative over here


    that is all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful post! your post reminded me of more I need to be thankful about with my husband. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I'm so glad you are happy and in a great place with your family. Shell is right, marriage isn't easy but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post Steph.

    It is wonderful when you find a man like George. Hold on tight girl!

    I love that song btw! Another one that sounds like George is the Brad Paisley song He Didn't Have To Be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from PYHO for the first time. What an incredible post! Having a "family man" to call your own is an amazing blessing. Thank you for sharing your heart today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steph this was beautiful- for months now you have given me the inspiration to move forward with my life and find new love. This post said it all...Love ya darlin :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know you or your husband, but this post made my heart sing. You're so obviously happy, which is a beautiful gift! This post is a lovely tribute to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! Having a great husband with a heart for fatherhood makes all the hurdles of marriage seem worth it.

    ReplyDelete