Monday, November 21, 2011

Let's Gather 'Round the Campfire

The boys headed off this weekend for a camping trip while Lily and I stayed home for a girls weekend.  Theoretically, I could have been in bed at 7:15pm when Lily went to bed just an hour after the guys left.  I did stay up a little later, but you can bet I totally enjoyed laying in bed in my jammies early, catching up on my dvr and some reading.  It was really nice.
I always enjoy pictures when the guys get back home and listening to their stories. They both enjoy this particular camping trip and have been looking forward to it for a long time.

Boys are funny and really so different from girls about stuff.  Take this picture, for example.

They just all basically sleep wherever and everyone's stuff is on top of one anothers.  This is just the kids' stuff. The adults have an entire separate area where they neatly have their tents and belongings. Andrew and his buddy where just hanging out getting some stuff together.

I appreciate the experience my son is having just being around good people, developing skills that he will utilize in his life. Andrew is more of a small group of buddies or one-on-one kind of kid, so I think experiences such as this one are also good for him to teach him how to handle situations in bigger groups too.
They do skits and a lot of comraderie-type activities.  They went on a 3 hour hike one day and also a ceremony where they retire a flag.  In addition to the "fun stuff", they are assigned duties like cooking, clean-up, tending to the fire, cutting and carrying firewood etc.  I don't get too many details from them since I'm not a boy, you know.  But, I do know both Andrew and George are happy when they come home.  I'm glad it's something they do together.

5 comments:

  1. What a fun trip! I really want to go camping. My little guy is too young but hopefully soon. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun trip and I am laughing at the kids stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky for you that George has learned the skills of photography. :)

    ReplyDelete