Friday, April 16, 2010

Goodbye Miss Fish

We bought the kids fish for Easter.
R named hers Smallie.
















Smallie lasted 13 days with us.

Scene:
G and I sitting on the back porch enjoying the afternoon sunshine before the rainstorm, talking and saving the world like we do on our porch...

From inside, a 6 year old voice...
R: "Hey guys? I think there's something wrong with my fish."
G: "Why?"
R: "Daddy, is she supposed to be laying on her side on the rocks?"
G looks at me and mouths, "oh no..."
G: "Come on honey, let's go upstairs and check it out."

We go into the girls' bedroom and sure enough it is Goodbye Miss Fish.
















R started sobbing. We let her cry and tried to explain that sometimes that happens, she might have been sick when we got her, that we've had fish die too etc. doing our best to comfort her, of course.

R: "Why does this have to happen? First a dog in my life, now my fish?"  (We had to put one of our dogs to sleep on Christmas Eve.)

We talked with her about all of it and she cried --snot running out of her nose --crying. It was so sad and sweet. She is such a sensitive and caring little girl. 

She asked if we could get a new fish and we said yes, that would be fine, but she had to decide whether she would be ok if it happened again too...hopefully not this soon. Through her sobs, she said she could be ok.

I later told G this was a preview of puberty and the emotion that will come with girls. :) HAHAHAHAHAHA!

We headed to the bathroom with Smallie in the green net...G, R, and me. (What was going through my mind at this point was The Cosby Show when they had a funeral for Rudy's goldfish "Lamont"!)















Sad, sad R flushing Smallie... :(



















Daddy headed to work while R and I headed to Petco...she liked this one because he followed her finger:















And a very happy girl with her new fish!
Meet Swimmy!



















All is well again...

5 comments:

  1. Awwww I started to cry with her! Then I seen that precious smile with Swimmie and all seems better :0) I hope Swimmie lasts longer than Smallie does! When I was reading this post it reminded me of the Cosby episode too!

    For Kelcee's 3rd B-Day we bought her two mollies with the mickey mouse on their tails and one died after like 3 days and luckily I was able to get it out before she noticed and when she asked where mickey was I told her he was hiding and then Greg snuck another one in before she noticed! Guess what 3 days later he didn't make it! I was like what in the world sooo we went to pet smart and they told us that Mollies need some salt water and something about hard water so we have a tank of Tetras now LOL....I seem to be able to keep those alive....

    That pic of your little girl with her new fish is precious

    xoxo
    Summer :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awe poor thing...luckily my boys don't get attached to thier fish...we have mollies and started with two that mated and made like 16 more ...needless to say we are back to 2 (not the original 2) They aren't looking to healthy these days either...lol...Happy saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you just documented the whole thing! This is why I am afraid to get my daughter the teddy bear hamster she wants!

    You guys handled it like champs though and she looks like she is happy again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there before....R definitely looks happy again though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to the day when my little ones are old enough to pick out their own fish.

    It's a great learning experience - taking care of an animal and even understanding death a little more.

    Great post. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete