Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Red Alert! Red Alert!

I have been very reflective lately as a result of being pregnant and I have been observing my son as he grows into a young man...the things he likes, dislikes, what makes him laugh ---how he is becoming the person he is.


(Written October 6, 2009...)




I walked into A's room this morning to put some laundry away after he had gone to school and came across this army scene in his room. I put his clothes away and left the room to grab my camera...

I took the pictures because they made me smile and I have been reflecting on his life a lot lately as his 10th birthday is rapidly approaching.... is he really almost 10???? He lost a tooth yesterday, he plays hockey, he's in beginning band learning to play the saxophone, he's mouthy, he's really good at math, loves science, needs to work on reading comprehension...i.e. slowing down, he is in a robotics clubs at school learning to build robots from legos, he still loves cheeseburgers like he has since he was 1, he loves to play videogames, still believes in the tooth fairy and Santa, he still walks into a room JUST to hug me and randomly hollers out "Mom, I love you!" I am so very blessed to be his mom. ♥

There actually is a specific reason I took pictures of those army men today...


When I lived in Nashville, before I was married or A was even a glimmer in my life, I was invited to and attended a songwriter's seminar with some of the best writer's in Nashville. What I love about country music is the story...


A songwriter, Gary Burr, wrote this song after reading the paper or hearing a story on the news (I can't remember which. :) ) about this child who was hit by a car in front of his own house and when the mom came back inside there was a half eaten sandwich and toys strewn all around just like the boy had left it. When she was interviewed she said, "He can't really be gone" as she talked about walking back into her house...

That story led to the Tim McGraw song,

"Can't Really Be Gone".
Her hat is hanging by the door
The one she bought in Mexico
It blocked the wind,
It stopped the rain
She'd never leave that one
So, she can't be really gone

The shoes she bought on Christmas Eve
She laughed and said they called her name
It's like they're waiting in the hall
For her slip them on
So, she can't be really gone

I don't when she'll come back
She must intend to come back
And I've seen the error of my ways
Don't waste the tears on me
What more proof to you need
Just look around the room
So much of her remains

Her book is lying on the bed
The two of hearts to mark her page
Now, who could ever walk away
At chapter twenty-one
So, she can't be really gone

Just look around this room
So much of her remains
Her book is lying on the bed
The two of hearts to mark her page
Now, who could ever walk away
With so much left undone
So, she can't be really gone
No, she can't be really gone



That story really impacted me back then and obviously still today...

So sometimes in the still of my house, I take a moment not to get frustrated that there are toys all over the floor that didn't get put away or the backpacks are thrown by the door instead of picked up, and simply grab my camera and be grateful for the life and love I have.






Click on the box above to link up at Shell's for this bloghop and connection...

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! I love that song, too.

    I try to remember, when I see the messes my boys make, that my boys will grow up quickly and that I can have a clean house then...and that I'll miss the messes.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED this post hun! New follower. Found you through PYHO. Praying blessings on you, your precious family and you itty bitty baby girl! :)

    Beth
    http://bethaworkinprogress.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post thanks for sharing and I love that song as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The song makes me cry every time! How cute and super organized is your son! Seriously love to hear about your relationship with him! Your a fabulous Mom!!!!!

    ReplyDelete