Saturday, April 24, 2010

What's Up, Doc?

This past Monday, I had a doctor appointment and a growth scan ultrasound for Lily.  Often times when we go, the ultrasound part of the hospital is behind...this was one of those days. An hour and a half.  My appointment was at 10am and my regular OB visit was at 11am.  Y'all can do the math. 

Fortunately, they like me and I get along wonderfully with all the nurses in my doctor's office, so they told me to come to my appointment early so I wouldn't have to be there all day! Yay! I love it that they're also considerate of MY time.

Headed to the doctor. This was my first visit where I was getting measured. Seems really old school to essentially tape measure the belly, but I measured between 22-23 weeks with this super hi-tech tape measure method. haha I was 23 weeks, 2 days. The doctor laughed at me saying how hi-tech it is.  We listened to Lily's awesome little beating heart and she pumped away at 150 bpm. It just makes me smile and so thankful each time. ♥  I asked about my hands falling asleep and waking up in the morning almost unable to use them and was told it was "normal". Pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel syndrome. OH. MY. GOD.

I wish I could explain how painful this is. I wake up with practically a claw some mornings. I wake G up at random times in the middle of the night to rub my hand and my arm. I have never experienced anything like this and I told my poor mom the other night that I feel badly for giving her a hard time when she'd just drop something out of her hand or saying "Oh my wrist."  My dad and I used to joke with "oh my wrist" all the time.  Mom, I apologize again.  Because, OH MY WRIST!!! This sucks!

Other than that, the doctor visit was uneventful...normal blood pressure check, weight check...I've gained 5 pounds since my last visit for a grand total of 8.  I'm ok with that. :)  Honestly, all that's important to me is Lily growing and being healthy and I'm going to do my part.  I gained 50 pounds with A and lost 40 after he was born and then well, divorce and other things made it fluctuate over the years.  Like I've said previously, I had a moment of "oh my gosh I'm going to be 40 when Lily's three". So G and I have our weight loss/management plan in place after she's born so that we can be around for a long time. :)

We finished up, scheduled the next visit which includes the dreaded glucose test...dun dun dun. I've already done one in this pregnancy and inevitably I don't pass the one hour test. I hope that I do this time because that 3 hour one is no funaroosky. Blech. Also scheduled my next growth scan ultrasound. I was able to schedule the ultrasound when my mom is here, so she can see Lily in action too!! I'm sooooo excited about that!!

Next up: Ultrasound.

I headed back up to ultrasound, told them I was back and got called within 5 minutes. Perfect.  The ultrasound tech was a sweet young girl who was very good about explaining what she was measuring with this type of scan. Checking her head, kidneys, heart, stomach, spine, leg bones etc. making sure they're growing appropriately.  Hearing the words: "She looks perfect," makes me more happy than I can possibly say. We're finally truly enjoying this pregnancy and those words are like music. ♥  

Lily was pretty active with her arms and legs kicking, but not really moving her body around. She was breech with her head up under my left rib and sitting on my cervix. Which made perfect sense to me because she was literally kicking me down low the previous day all day. G and A were both able to feel her that day! G was excited, but A said, "This is really weird, Mom, to feel something moving inside you!"

Anywho, Lily waved once then covered her face really quickly like she was shy! It was super cute and made me laugh. She was moving her mouth a lot and playing with her tongue. She kept putting her hands across her face. We were able to see her fingers very clearly---which looked like Skeletor---all bony and awesome to see that she's growing and developing. I'm so amazed and infatuated with seeing her in ultrasound and I know how truly miraculous pregnancy really is.

I was happy to see all 4 chambers of her heart pumping away, still cracking up that she has big feet like G, and truly, truly just more and more in love with my baby girl...

I love this picture! ♥ She put her right hand --palm up--against her forehead after all her waving and covering her face, as if to sigh and say, "Oh my life is so hard!" hahahah


This pic was one of the times she covered her face *in same position as above pic* and her bony fingers were across her face. Skeletor:


This was actually RIGHT after she waved and then while she was covering her face...Her arms are on either side of her head. In the pic, she's looking towards us and you can make out her eye (sockets). I'm SOOOO amazed by all of this, but I figured the text describing what you're looking at is helpful too. :)


I love love love this baby and I'm so thrilled and relieved she'd growing on time!

8 comments:

  1. Hehe, love the picture of her hand over her head. Too cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! here to return the favor! so excited for you---i used to love my ultrasounds.


    p.s. i used to suffer from teh same hand syndrome. SO AWFUL. i promise it will go away once you deliver....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy everything is going so well! Lily is so precious!! I love the pic of her with her hand over her head like oh no not another picture haha!!

    I feel ya on the glucose test blech....hope you don't have to take the 3 hour one!

    Hope your having a great weekend girlie
    xoxo
    Summer :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, so happy to hear everything is as it should be. Lily looks so cute. I always loved hearing my boys heartbeats...just made my day!!

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome shots of Lily! You are so lucky you have only gained 8...that is so awesome....I ballooned like crazy!

    I hate the glucose test...hate hate hate! I threw up for 9 months straight with my pregnancies so I threw up the juice, then I had to do the 3 hour with my last one and I threw up after they poked me...yucky times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am following along now ...Shell told me to check out your blog I love it and congrats on the baby ...she is going to be such a blessing and a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww!!! I love the u/s pic with her hand over her eyes - too cute! congratulations!

    I also came over from Shell's and am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete