Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The House That Built Me

Yesterday, I spent a lot of time thinking about and discussing my dad (who died 15 years ago this May) with a new blogger friend. We talked about each of us losing a parent and how that has impacted our lives. It's funny when you meet someone who has lost a parent...it's like an instant understanding that you've longed to explain to people in your life...and at the same time, you wish no one really had to go through it either in order for them to understand.

When I heard the following song last September for the 1st time, I was instantly stopped in my tracks...
The imagery of the lyrics took me through so many pieces of my own life, I found myself having to pull over on the side of the road sobbing. I called G and told him that I found MY song...This is the song I want played at my funeral. One of them.  But I know for certain this is one.  I made sure that my best friend knows too, so someone will make sure it happens. Take a few minutes and listen.

Today, G and I went to a funeral...his aunt. After much conversation yesterday about my dad and let's face it, pregnancy hormones, I was pretty emotional to start with. I have never met this aunt, yet the moment I saw her son and daughter --who are in their 30s --I began crying. Almost to the point where I was going to get up and leave the room because I was extremely emotional. Fortunately, following the service, I had the opportunity to explain that to G's cousins. And also fortunately, I have a man in my life who knows this is who I am and loves me for it.

All the emotions I have felt today are still swimming in my head and I will probably write about my dad more as he's been on my mind a lot...in relation to my past as well as to my pregnancy, my children and the legacy I will leave for them...






(this just plays the music to listen...I love the imagery of my own life.)

(I met Miranda Lambert in March 2005 in the Nashville airport. A month later we saw each other again in Arizona and she remembered our meeting in Nashville. We spent the afternoon together at a festival, exchanged information and kept in touch until life simply got busier for both of us. Since that first meeting, we've seen each other over the last 5 years at different shows. She AND her dad always remember and we catch up which is awesome. I last saw her last April in California before this record had been released, so I've yet to tell her how impactful it is. I look forward to seeing her again and being able to tell her just how much.)

Won't take nothin' but a memory...


Click on the box above to link up at Shell's for this bloghop and connection...





12 comments:

  1. I'm always sad and glad that we can't relate to your father's passing. But I'm always here for you and I do always take solace that you can find other people to share in those feelings that I will not yet understand.

    There are those times when I'm so angry at my parents and yet I still feel selfish that I have that ability to be angry at them and you don't have that opportunity sometimes.

    I'm also glad that we share Miranda. From the cd purchase, to the airport to the song at different times in our lives and I'm glad that we both have songs. I have far too many already.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful song! I never heard of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderfully beautiful song...i lost my mom 9 years ago..losing a parent is not easy and i find at times of loss or even joyous occassions i miss her terribly...the song really hit home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lost my dad 15 years ago in February. It's hard to lose a parent and even after all these years, it still hurts. Especially now that I have my own kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father passed away 3 years ago this year. I miss him every day, more so because he was not a huge part of my life from the age of 10 on. I have always said if you lose a parent or family member prior to you having children, they see them first. they hold them and rock them, play with them and whisper all the secrets they know aboutyou before God places that child in your womb. That baby is that person's love exuded fromthe moment they arrive. When you snuggle in their neck and breathe deeply, your lost loved one was there first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful song! I adore Miranda Lambert. How amazing that you have met her!

    I can't imagine what you go through with losing a parent. Sending prayers.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup it was me, the jackass, the idiot, the one who stirs the pot who was talking to her.

    It's rough at times and very humbling to meet others who went through the same thing. Having to lose a parent or Aunt or Uncle or anyone much too young isn't fair.

    Thank YOU for listening to ME.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I go to funerals, I end up crying for the close family members of the one who passed

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful song had me in tears! Girly I keep finding that we have more and more in common although I wish we didn't have this one in common.... I wish we didn't have to go through the loss of a parent! I lost my daddy to a sudden heart attack when Kelcee was 1 day shy of 5 mths old! It hurts more than I can say and the fact that he will never see her grow up is just so sad! In February he bought her a Bear that had a cell phone and when you press it it plays I just called to say I love you.....well I ball everytime we play it....It is in her room on her shelf....he passed away in March....It was like God was trying to prepare us for what was about to happen!

    I am so sorry that you have had to experience the death of your daddy to. It is alot!

    The song that breaks me down everytime I hear it is Trent Tomblinson One Wing in the Fire....It reminds me just of my day....actually it could have been written about him it is so true....

    That is awesome you know Miranda....I love her music....

    If you ever need to talk I am just an e-mail away

    Loves ya
    Summer :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I meant to say daddy not day....goodness break out the highlighter LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have met a bunch of famous people! It was you that has met a lot of famous people right? I'm tired! hahaha!

    I am the same way about a song that I hear. I have a few that bring back memories of my childhood and my mom. My mom passed away when I was 5. I think its good to talk to people that share a common experience.

    ReplyDelete