Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sympathy Pregnant

Anyone buy into the man being sympathetically pregnant? 

Um, I do.

This is my man:














(We were actually laughing really hard when I took this picture and just looking at it makes me laugh again.)


He is very a broad shouldered, 6'3", strong manly man in every way that matters to me. He would lay down his life for me...

When we found out we were pregnant last May (with the baby we miscarried at 11 weeks), he didn't experience any sympathetic pregnancy symptoms...maybe it was early still or who knows. I was definitely emotional and moody during those early weeks. 

When we found out in December we were pregnant with this baby, it was almost immediately that he was pregnant too! One night about 10pm, he was on his way home and called me to say, "I'm stopping at the grocery store to get tomato soup. I'm craving tomato soup."  He doesn't like tomato soup. 

Came home, fixed his beloved tomato soup, ate about 5 spoonfuls and was done. Craving over. I just laughed at him. I had yet to experience any real food cravings at that early point.

His food cravings have continued.

When I have told him at doctor appointments how much weight I have gained each time---has been very minimal this pregnancy--sometimes 1 lb. to 3 total lbs the entire pregnancy. Well, I know where our pregnancy weight has gone. :) He's sharing it too. God love him. He's funny about it ... jokes and tells everybody, "She's gained 5 pounds, I've gained 20." 

Recently, I have had trouble with my hands falling asleep in the middle of the night...unfortunately this is "normal" during pregnancy too, I've learned. Due to swelling, it's essentially carpal tunnel that occurs during pregnancy.  It's awful though. Some mornings I can barely make a fist. The only time it really falls asleep during the day is when I'm blow drying my hair.

Anyway, so I said the other morning, "My right hand fell asleep last night and it hurts so badly this morning." He said, "That's really weird because MINE have been falling asleep too!" hahahahaha

The few days I felt nauseated, he did too, shortly after that.

I told him that if any man would be sympathetically pregnant, it would be him. ♥ He is a very passionate man who is very intuitive and in tune with me.

Yesterday while I was out, I got a text message from him that he had a really bad headache and wasn't feeling well. We sent a few messages back and forth and then he said, "Ok babe, I'm gonna go lay down. I'm ready to not be pregnant anymore."  It made me smile.  Not that he felt bad, but as his reference to himself being done being pregnant.

So, yeah I do believe in sympathetic pregnancy.

I'm in love with the father of my baby who is living proof. ♥

He won't watch 16 & Pregnant with me though. haha

7 comments:

  1. My hubby did it with our first child. He craved Bold and Zesty chex mix and dill pickles. He got nauseated at the slightest nasty thing. So I totally know that a man can have a sympathetic pregnancy with his wife. Now if we can just figure out what hormones make their chests grow to epic proportions and leak, and to emulate the baby bouncing on the bladder and needing to pee every 2.3 minutes..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww I love this post. So sweet. Funny too--you'll love these stories later. I already love him though we've never met

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Cute Steph!! LOVE it! Greg has some symptoms, but nothing like this. He got really sick the other day when my contractions were really bad, but his cravings are nothing like mine. At least he humors mine...
    by the way, did you see our give away on fb?? Go enter to win!
    How was the season finale of 16 and pregnant? I missed it tonight! Let me know, i was too wrapped in the Pens game and our blog makeover today to remember to dvr it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute Steph! That is awesome he is so in tune with you! What a great hubby! Did you watch 16 & Pregnant last night it was the Season Premiere!?!? I fell asleep ugggg!

    That is so funny your hubby said "he" was done being pregnant, well I guess that is proof men can be sympathetically pregnant! Ha! Ha!

    xoxo
    Summer ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, I love your hubby for gaining your weight for you!!! That is great! I gained like 70 pounds with my pregnancies hubby only gained a few...that sucked!

    I left you an award on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! At least you have a pregnancy buddy! But it is totally legit - Louann Brizendine, MD wrote a book "Male Brain" were she talks about how during pregnancy women release some sort of hormone that alters the partners brain and often gives him the same side effects. So in a sense he IS pregnant too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, this post was so cute. I'm your newest follower... found you on Shell's blog. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete